Things change rapidly in the WordPress world. The content in this post is more than a year old and may no longer represent best practices.
Can anyone recommend a better plugin for rating posts than Post Ratings?
Suggestion from Michael McColl: GD Star Rating, which uses microformats to display the stars in Google search results.
How do you link an image to a PDF?
- Upload the PDF file to your media library.
- Copy its URL.
- Insert an image into a post or page.
- Select “None” under link and then paste in the URL of the PDF.
- Click “Insert into post.” The image will now link to the PDF file.
Gallery Bug: Can’t Link Thumbnails to URL
This is a long-standing issue in WordPress: if you create a gallery using the native [
gallery] shortcode, you can’t link the thumbnail images to anything but the image attachment page or a larger version of the image. Some recommended solutions:
NextGEN Gallery (A plugin with extensive features for gallery management and display, perhaps overwhelming to beginners.)
Gallery Just Better (Lightweight plugin to replace the native gallery feature. Use [
jbgallery link="url"] to link the images to URLs specified in the Description (NOT LINK) field.)
WordPress in Thai
WordPress has been translated into many languages. (Yes, Thai is one of them.) To find out whether yours is one of them, visit the WordPress in Your Language Codex page. Some plugins have been localized for different countries, though there will usually only be a handful of versions. All plugins and themes should include translation-ready code (see i18n for WordPress Developers).
There’s also a page with instructions on how to set up a multilingual blog with WordPress that explains the different types of translation plugins:
There are a few basic types of multilingual Plugins:
- Manage multilingual posts in one post per language (for example WPML (profitable), xili-language or Polylang). Translations are then linked together, indicating that one page is the translation of another.
- Store all languages alternatives for each post in the same post (for example qTranslate).
- Manage translations on the generated page instead of using a post context (for example Transposh and Global Translator)
- Plugins that direct you to external translation services (for example Google AJAX Translation)
- Plugins like Multisite Language Switcher and the newcomer Multilingual Press link together separate WordPress network (multisite) installations for each language by pinging back and forth.
WPML is now a premium plugin, though there are many add-ons for it in the WordPress plugin repository.