Things change rapidly in the WordPress world. The content in this post is more than a year old and may no longer represent best practices.
The final plugin we covered in our July 2018 East Bay WordPress Meetup was s2Member. Make sure you check out the slides from our other presentations: What Is a Membership Site, WP-Members, and MemberPress.
s2Member is one of the oldest WordPress membership plugins. As Chris Lema pointed out in his 2015 review, this is not the easiest plugin for a website owner to set up, and it’s overkill for a simple membership site. But, as Sonja London demonstrates in this presentation about the South Skyline Association, s2Member continues to provide developers with incredible extensibility.
The free version is extremely powerful, and with a one-time cost of $89 for a single-site pro license, this plugin can be a great choice for budget-conscious nonprofits or clients who tend to let annual licenses lapse.
Use s2Member if…
- you need to take Payments with a free plugin
- you need lots of options (about an hour of configuration, plus another hour for your payment gateway)
- you want powerful customization through code (lots of hooks & filters)
Don’t use s2Member if…
- you want a really easy plugin that you can configure quickly
- you just want to manage profiles or roles
- you need extensive e-commerce support without coding
Leave a Reply