Things change rapidly in the WordPress world. The content in this post is more than a year old and may no longer represent best practices.
If you haven’t contributed to WordPress before, take a look at this great slide deck from Petya.Petya's contributor day slide deck
Register on WordPress.org
Create a WordPress.org account to start contributing to WordPress, get help in the support forums, or rate and review themes and plugins. https://login.wordpress.org/register
Join the WordPress Slack Team
- Create a WordPress account if you don’t have one yet: https://wordpress.org/support/register.php
- Login with your wordpress.org account on this link: https://wordpress.org/support/bb-login.php?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fmake.wordpress.org%2Fchat%2F
- Scroll on that page (https://make.wordpress.org/chat/) to “Joining the WordPress team on Slack” and enter your email address
- Check your email and you will have a “firstname.lastname@example.org” account
- Activate your account on https://wordpress.slack.com/
- You are now connected to the global WordPress Slack. Choose the channels you want to follow (e.g. “Support” or “Core-Editor”).